FLSmidth introduces a new solution for hot material sampling from the kiln outlet
The cement industry is seeing a greater need for optimising the burning process. In particular, more reliable representative material sampling and faster feedback control are required. In response to this need, FLSmidth has taken the opportunity to develop a new generation of Hot Kiln Sampler designed for representative sampling of hot materials falling from rotary kilns.
Hot Kiln Sampler
An alternative to sampling after cooling and crushing
Improving cement plant performance requires the process to be monitored more closely. An area that can offer a measurable improvement is process sampling, which includes hot clinker sampling. The standard clinker sampling point is situated behind the cooling and crushing stages, but the kiln outlet offers faster access to clinker samples. This can be an invaluable asset where less stable pyro-processes exist and where sampling delay due to cooler retention time limits the burning process control.
Sampling point of Hot Kiln Sampler
A robust solution for fast, safe representative clinker sampling
FLSmidth has recently developed the Hot Kiln Sampler, which can be used for sampling different types of hot granular materials. Robustly constructed, the sampler features a special sampling spoon made of heat-resistant steel permitting use in temperatures up to 1400 degrees Celsius.
FLSmidth has extensively tested clinker samples collected using both the kiln outlet (Hot Kiln Sampler) and the standard point after the cooling and crushing stages. Chemical and physical comparisons of clinker samples properties have clearly demonstrated the perfect suitability of the Hot Kiln Sampler for representative clinker sampling. The Hot Kiln Sampler includes an advanced forced-air cooler that provides equivalent cooling as was evident from the test results. For detailed information about the test results, please see the article ‘Representative Hot Clinker Sampling’, in the September 2014 issue of World Cement.
• The Hot Kiln Sampler is a robust solution, as was demonstrated during a 1-year continuous test
• Feedback control of the product between 20 and 40 minutes faster than sampling behind the cooler and crusher
• Demonstrated suitability of Hot Kiln Sampler for production quality control; it can fully replace traditional cooler and crusher samplers
• The Hot Kiln Sampler has the widest range of sampled material particle size (up to 40 mm), corresponding very well with the particle size range of material flow from kiln
• Enhanced monitoring of cooler performance, when combining the Hot Kiln Sampler with a sampler behind the cooling and crushing stages
• Particle size of sampled material is 0-40 mm
• Maximum temperature of sampling point is 1400 °C
• Sampler capacity at 1400 °C is 1 sample every 15 minutes; at 900 °C, 1 sample every 4 minutes
• Sample volume is 1.2 litres