With the increasing need for dams, bridges, housing projects and other infrastructure generating more construction projects, the demand for cement in Nepal is growing year on year. Cement manufacturers are looking to build new plants in order to expand cement production capacity.
In a move that reflects this demand, the Saurabh Group has awarded the Sarbottam Cement Plant’s clinkerisation project in Nepal to FLSmidth. This is the first full-scope supply of equipment to be undertaken by FLSmidth in Nepal. The 1200 tpd cement plant will be located about 50 km from Lumbini, the birthplace of Buddha.
FLSmidth scope of supply
The project supply includes everything from the crusher and mills to pyroprocessing, electrical systems and automation.
FLSmidth’s scope of supply:
• Limestone crusher (Impact – 480 KW)
• Limestone stacker (luffing) & bridge reclaimer, material handling equipment
• Raw mill grinding ATOX® 30 & 32.5 RAR air separator
• Raw mill & coal mill bag house & cooler ESP
• FRF silo (16 X 28m)
• Preheater: 5-stage single string ILC
• Rotary kiln (3.15 X 47m)
• Clinker cooler: FLSmidth Cross-Bar® Cooler 6 X 29 with clinker breaker
• Coal mill TIRAX® ball mill (TM30 X 4.5 + 2.30) with air separator RTKM 17.5
• Electrical, automation & instrumentation items (from 33 KW incomer to control system complete design and supply)
Progress at site
Mechanical installations are in progress and the major installations, including limestone crusher, kiln, cooler, preheater and raw mill are nearing completion. This is closely followed by installation of the electrical and automation equipment.
“Being the largest producer of cement in Nepal, we awarded our new project ‘Sarbottam Cement Pvt. Ltd.’ to FLSmidth. As our dream cement plant is being built now, we could see that FLSmidth’s team is fulfilling their commitment of lowest thermal and electrical energy consumption, and also honouring the trust that we placed in them through their meticulous planning, effort and cooperation.”
- Mr. Bishnu Prasad Neupane, Managing Director of Sarbottam Cement.
Trial runs of equipment are expected to be performed in October 2014.
“This project was planned in such a way that there were no hurdles at site for want of drawing or materials, which relieved us of stress and saved our time in follow-up activities with the supplier,” adds Mr. Bimal Kumar Sawarthia, Finance Director of Sarbottam Cement.
Several ‘firsts’ in Nepal
In addition to the fact that Sarbottam Cement is the first project for which equipment is supplied by FLSmidth in Nepal, Sarbottam Cement plant provides the first ATOX mill (VRM) at a cement plant in Nepal. In addition, it is the first ECS, IMCC and intelligent network system to be installed in Nepal as well.
Sarbottam Cement Plant has also ordered a 70 tph OK™ 25-0 vertical roller mill for cement grinding, and packing plants from FLSmidth. The plant’s objective will be to produce 1,500 tons of OPC & PPC cement per day.
Kiln during krection
- Signing of the contract 7 June 2012
- Effective date of contract 15 October 2012
- Completion of engineering 30 December 2013
- Supply of major equipment 6 May 2014
- Expected commissioning December 2014
The Saurabh Group was established in 1964 by the well-known business man Mr. Lila Ram Neupane initially as a trading agency and a fleet of bus services. After coming to Nepal from Myanmar, the group diversified its activities when the founder’s son, Mr. Bishnu Prasad Neupane, joined the group in 1986. The group is now mainly involved in the production of cement, steel, tea, spun yarn, PP Woven fabrics, calcium carbonates and other products.